Pages

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Going digital???

I've been thinking about digital scrapping a lot lately. In fact, two of my favourite brands, Hero Arts and Kaisercraft have just started producing digital kits and stamps and all sorts of other yummy things digital. OMG it's totally freaking me out! Well, not really, but as much as I love digital designing, I just can't bear the thought of parting with my crafty, lumpy, bumpy goods, nor sitting at my computer for work and play!

I design websites and online graphics all day every day (well, while I'm working), and although I wouldn't give it up for the world, if there's one thing I could change, it would be sitting in front of a computer screen all day. I need a release, a rest from the screen. In fact, I can still see the words, "I could never sit at a desk all day" written all over my face when my Mum asked me what kind of job I wanted. And still, here I am sitting in front of a computer, behind a desk!

In my mind, I see the positives of digital scrapping:
- quicker
- cheaper
- unlimited products
- immediate access to products (once purchased)
- no need to print out individual photos

and the negatives:
- no hands on crafty work (which I so dearly love)
- would need to buy an A3 printer
- unsure of longevity of final print out (although I guess you could say the same about home-printed photos)

So, the dilemma of whether to scrap digitally or not continues... for now I might just try integrating a few little things into my cards and layouts, like these gorgeous Kaisercraft Apple Tree brushes and flourishes and see how I go!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about digital scrapping, and if you've ever tried it, what medium do you use to print them out on so they last?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Hmmm I think I like my paper too much, and being able to have time out like you said. I sit at the comp wayy too much already.Love those new Kaiser Digi kits though Leah.The flourishes are beautiful.

Melanie said...

I don't have the programme or printer to do digital but if I did I proberly would give it a go and see how it went :)

Lillipilli Lane said...

ahh, the dilema...I too love working with my mind AND hands...co-incidentally Leah, I was reflecting early this morning on my life's journey and too thought that at least I didn't sit at a desk all day - so I did achieve that! ...I do enjoy the convenience of digital - so as in life I suspect its a balance...